Getting Back to Work

January 31, 2016


via

I know I'm late to the party but have you seen The Intern?  Haven't, yet? Well, try to catch it on itunes, Amazon or, however, else you rent your movies. It quickly was added to my all time favorite movie list. Nancy Meyers wrote and directed the film. She's also written and directed so many more of my favorites like The Holiday, It's Complicated, Something's Gotta Give, Father of the Bride and Baby Boom. Who knew? Well, I didn't.

What I loved most about The Intern is how relatable, current and fresh it depicted aging and hitting retirement. Not exactly two topics that makes for Hollywood blockbusters, yet, it did pretty well. It doesn't hurt that Meyers casted a fantastic ensemble with so much talent. Honestly, anything with De Niro is bound to be a hit!

Ok, enough about the movie and Ms. Meyers. I want to talk about getting back into the workforce. Specifically, a forty-something SAHM of three and military spouse...you know, me! I have been home nurturing my kiddos and supporting my husband's career for over 15 years!! Yikes! That's a long time. It's almost like starting over again. My past work experience is over a decade old; writing a resume is not the same; my previous colleagues have retired or moved on; my hair's highlights are no longer a temporarily golden but rather permanent streaks of gray.

So, what does this girl focus on? The experts say focus on volunteer work and skills. According to them, I need to play up to my strengths and talk about my resilience and flexibilty as amilitary spouse. Easier said that done. The fact of the matter is that it's scary as hell to put yourself out there as a forty-something when millennials are right behind you with smooth faces and his or her natural hair color. It's so daunting. Often times I'm pushed to tears because I've lost my gumption. It's not easy ladies and gentlemen; not easy.

Writing resumes was the easiest part. Once I got over the initial resentment of having to resign from some fantastic jobs and forfeit a career, I was able to cut, paste and modify, as needed. However, my poor husband and family had to deal with one moody and pissed offf mama when I dwelled on my imaginary perfect job of the past.

Now, the part of the process that is most painful is that everthing is done online; applications, sending off resumes, etc. Change is hard for some old bitches dogs. I really miss meeting a potential interviewer. It is such a great opportunity to make a good first impression. Not now, no way! If your skills don't match up with a computer-generated profile and/or (my worst fear) you don't have an insider propping you up, then you many never get a call back. The process, nowadays takes a long-time, it's sterile and feels like it's really about who you know...you know?

Despite the hurdles, real or imaginary I put in my way, I've muddled through and in the process gained back some of my self-confidence. I have remained positive and met some generous people along the way that have shed a greater insight and new perspective to the modern playing field. Also, I'm convinced that alondside the new "highlights," I have gained value through experience. Experience for the win!

Now, let's hope this part-time/blogging gig turns into the job of my dreams. 

1 comment :

  1. I had to hold my tears when I read this for the first time. Not because you said my poor husband. But because I put myself in your shoes and how hard it is for you right now trying to get back into the job force. I see what you are going through. I can only wish I had a magic wand! Thank you and I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |